I just recently learned of these little gems but it seems like I’m late to the party, as I spot them everywhere now. I first tried an assorted box of the “bite-sized” bars so I could sample several flavors, but I’ve already ordered large full-size boxes of the PB&J and the peanut butter & banana flavors. The peanut butter & banana flavor is my good buddy now, and I take him on walks and trips and soon he’ll meet my family.
In a nutshell, Bonk Breakers are like Clif Bars, except softer, moister, tastier, and expensive-er (for comparison, one White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Clif Bar has 250 cals, 7 g fat, 21 g sugar, and 9 g protein, with box of 12 about $12 with shipping, while one full-size Bonk Breaker PB&J has 250 cals, 9 g fat, 16 g sugar, 8 g protein, with a box of 12 about $31 with shipping). Turns out you can put a price on taste, and it’s $1.60 premium per bar. Bonk Breakers are shaped almost like perfect rectangles, instead of the oval-pod shaped Clif Bars, so they appeal to the architecturally inclined, too. They’re also gluten and dairy free, if that’s important to you.
Pictured above are the following flavors, left to right, top to bottom:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly – This garners the most raves online, but that’s probably because they haven’t tried the PB&B flavor. Two rectangles sandwich a visible line of jelly, which is fun. What’s also fun is eating this bar without the hassle of actually making yourself a sandwich.
- Peanut Butter & Banana – I took a risk and ordered an entire full-sized box of this flavor without even trying it first! It was a gamble that paid off in spades, though. Spades and spades of delicious peanut buttery oaty bananay goodness.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip – No ampersand necessary in this name, it was my favorite until I tried the PB&B, and now I just don’t know where I stand on anything anymore.
- Apple Pie – The chia seeds are the real surprise here. They look like miniature apple seeds left in the mix, but instead of arsenic they provide a satisfying seedy-ness much like a mustache on a pornographer.
- Blueberry Oat – A solid flavor, but nothing remarkable or strong or special about it. I suppose if you’re allergic to peanut butter this could be one of those sad-but-brave-in-the-face-of-the-many-disappointing life choices you could make.
Have you tried Bonk Breaker bars? Have you dreamt about them (while sleeping or awake)? Share in the comments!